home stephanies story GEMS ministry stephanie speaks contact testimonials

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

White as Snow

With the tip of my nose pressed against the cool glass of my back patio door, I marveled at the beauty of God's creation. Snow had begun falling hours before, and though it was almost midnight, beams of light danced off the ice. It looked so clean. So pure. So bright.

It's been seven years since my family moved from New Jersey to Mississippi, and I'd forgotten the magnificence of ten inches of snow. I couldn't resist stepping outside to let the flakes fall softly around me. I slid the patio door open, and without any shoes on (yes, I'm a Cajun girl), I pranced in the fluffy white powder.

As I basked in the beauty that surrounded me, the words of Isaiah 1:18 flooded my soul.

"Come now, let's settle this," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool."

Just as the snow blankets the Earth and covers unattractive things under its surface, the blood of Christ covers our sins and makes us beautiful. Because of the shed blood of Jesus, we are pure and clean. We are redeemed!

But not only does snow cover what is ugly, it illuminates the world around it. As I stood in the stillness of the night, I couldn't believe how bright my backyard was. The darkness of the midnight sky was no match for the light reflecting off the freshly fallen snow.

Jesus didn't spill His crimson blood to cover our sins so we can still live like we're dingy. He cleans us up and purifies us so that we'll illuminate the world around us and shine for His glory. Our brightness bears witness that we're new creations in Christ.

But we often get sullied because we forget it's been settled. We mull around in the muck and mire instead of living the victorious life Jesus died for us to live. We allow the Devil to deceive us into thinking things will never change.

God wanted to make sure our fickle minds would remember that He's cleaned us up- once and for all. That's why He started this scripture with "Come now, let's settle this." I'm sure He knew we'd somehow slip back into our sins and forget that He's already won the victory.

What if today you and I decided to live like it's been settled?

How would our attitudes change? Our outlook on life?

Would our Kingdom impact be drastically different?

I believe it would.

Sweet friends, may today be the day we begin to live like we remember. Our sin has been settled. It's time to sparkle like new-fallen snow.

5 comments:

Hester's Heart said...

You write beautifully Stephanie! Thank you for sharing your insight with your time with Him. You are shining sweet Cajun girl!! :) Love you, Hester

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this.

Michelle

Nikki (Sarah) said...

really encouraging post. thanks.

Jenifer Metzger said...

While I am only a fan of snow around Christmas time, I love how you looked at. Snow is beautiful and pure and makes me think of Christ. Great post!

Stephanie Garneau said...

Thanks for your encouraging words, ladies!! :) Sarah and Jenifer, welcome to my blog. I pray that you'll be blessed!

Post a Comment