home stephanies story GEMS ministry stephanie speaks contact testimonials

Friday, October 8, 2010

Seeking His Love

Today I have the amazing privilege of interviewing my dear friend Carrie Turansky ... a woman who has poured her life into mine in the past and continues to do so in the present!

Carrie just released her new novel Seeking His Love last week and stopped by today to give us a glimpse into her world as a wife, a mom, a writer, and most importantly, a daughter of the King. If you'd like to win a copy of this amazing book courtesy of Carrie, be sure to leave a comment below!

Carrie lives in central New Jersey with her husband, Scott.They have been married for over thirty years and have five young adult children and three grandchildren.

Carrie leads women’s ministry at her church, teaches Bible studies, and enjoys mentoring younger women. When she is not writing or spending time with her family, she enjoys reading, gardening, trying out new recipes, and walking around the lake near their home.

Carrie and her family spent a year in Kenya, giving them a love for what God is doing around the world. Carrie has authored several novellas for Barbour and two novels for Steeple Hill.

Carrie, you play multiple characters in your own story: wife, mother of five, mother-in-law to two, grandma of three, pastor’s wife, church planter, and, last but not least, writer! How do you manage all these responsibilities and still find time to pen great stories?

My husband Scott and I often joke that life is never boring around our house. When I started writing twelve years ago I was homeschooling all five children, so I was even busier then than I am now. I learned some important skills during those years like how to focus my attention for writing and time management.

These days I feel like I have plenty of time to write, be involved with my husband in ministry, and stay connected to my young adult children and grandchildren. I am busy, but I enjoy each of these areas of my life. I try to set realistic deadlines with the help of my agent, and I use weekly word count goals so I know I will finish my books on time. I’ve never missed a deadline yet. That gives me freedom to do other things and still stay on track with my books.

On your website, you give the credit for your inspiration and story ideas to a vibrant and growing relationship with Christ. Tell us a little bit about how your relationship with God influences your writing life.

My relationship with Christ is central to all I do. Spending time in His word and in ministry gives me a wonderful well to draw from when I write my stories. My husband and I have done quite a bit of counseling and personal ministry with people. That gives me compassion and insight into God’s answers for the problems and conflicts my characters face. Sitting under good Bible teachers deepens my faith, and I believe that gives me wisdom for the themes and truths I want to include in my books. Hearing back from readers and knowing that my stories have encouraged them and helped them is one of the biggest blessings I’ve received as an author.

What’s your biggest challenge in balancing writing time with your other responsibilities?

My biggest challenge is choosing which optional activities I’ll say yes to. I love spending time with friends and serving at my church, but I’m learning to wait a day or two before I say yes to an invitation or new activity. That gives me time to pray, check with Scott, and think through how much time will be required before I make a decision.

As part of my quiet time each morning I create a list for the day, plan my schedule, and think through what is most important. Praying about this helps me be sensitive to the Spirits leading. Then when interruptions come, as they usually do, I trust that God is behind those, and I feel less frustrated.

What do you think makes your style of storytelling unique?

I think my experiences in life and my years in ministry have shaped me and given me a deep love for the Lord and for people. I believe those come through in my storytelling. My themes are often a reflection of lessons I have learned, sermons I’ve heard, Bible studies I’ve been involved with, or people I’ve counseled or mentored. And my gift of encouragement is often a motivating force behind my storytelling voice.

Where else can readers find you or your writing online?

Please stop by my website at http://www.carrieturansky.com/. I have some great recipes from my books, photos, articles, and information for writers and readers. I'd love for you to read the first chapter of Seeking His Love here. You can also connect with me on Facebook and Twitter.

Thank you, Carrie, for spending time with us at Sparkling to Reflect His Glory. May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He make His face shine upon you and bring you peace as you continue to point others to Him.

3 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

Great interview! Thanks ladies :)) I can't wait to read this book. Maybe I'll win it?!!

pinkdaisyjane said...

Can't wait to read your new book, Carrie!

bcmbmm said...

Carrie you are truly an inspiration to all of us mother's who juggle our lives each and everyday, striving to maintain our focus on the Lord and our responsibilities to him. You have truly shown us that it can be done. Thank you and Stephanie for the wonderful interview.

Post a Comment